- Location: Bath
- Salary: £10.42 per hour
Who we are
YMCA Brunel Group is an independent, locally governed and managed charity operating in Mendip, Bath, Bristol, Wiltshire and South Somerset. We are part of the international YMCA movement. Our mission is to create supportive, inclusive and energising communities, where people can truly belong, contribute and thrive.
Our activities include:
Accommodation for over 700 people every year who are at risk of being homeless, who are on low incomes, experience barriers to work, or young people in need of high levels of support, who have often experienced trauma and difficult times in their lives. We don’t just provide a bed, we support people holistically and continually seek to help our residents gain the training, skills and confidence to lead independent lives.
A Health & Wellbeing centre in Bath, a community facility with a fully kitted out gym, functional fitness areas and extensive class programme.
Two commercial hostels in Bath and Bristol which help us cover our central costs.
Twelve youth clubs for young people aged 10-19, including 4 young carers groups, providing a space where they can have dedicated time to talk to trusted youth workers, access relevant information about issues that concern them, and develop their social networks.
Eight Ofsted registered Nurseries, providing spaces for up to 360 children where they are given opportunities and experiences that will set them up for their educational journeys and prepare them for their lives ahead.
What does the job entail?
You will be assisting with maintenance issues that may arise on a daily basis.
What skills will the successful candidate need?
The post holder will ensure areas of maintenance are quickly repaired and made safe within the Hostel.
- You will carry out tasks to maintain YMCA Bath Hostel as allocated by the Duty Manager or Director of Housing. These could include repairing a leak, changing light bulbs, unblocking toilets, cleaning carpets, painting, ensure fire escapes are clear, repairing furniture if damaged. Reacting to any maintenance issues that can arise within a hostel setting.
- You will be able to work in an independent, industrial efficient manner without direction to achieve the standards required. Working along side a team member during the week, independently on Saturday morning.
- You will be aware of the security needs within the building and report any untoward occurrences or problems encountered to the Duty Manager or Director of Housing.
- You will comply with the relevant sections of the Health and Safety at work act and any other appropriate legislation which may be introduced from time to time.
- You will read, understand and comply with the Fire, Emergency and Evacuation procedures.
- You will work other hours and perform other duties as required, and agreed in advance with the Director of Housing.
What we offer
YMCA Brunel Group is an inclusive organisation and the post requires a shared commitment to equality and diversity.
- Enhanced sick pay allowances and paid compassionate and emergency dependent leave.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 20% discount off the cost of childcare at our childcare settings
- Staff get a fully inclusive membership of our health & wellbeing centre in Bath for the heavily discounted price of £15/month
- Access to online gym classes for free
- Staff events and a staff intranet where stories, news and updates are shared across the department.
- A corporate discount for our staff at Fusion Lifestyle who have gyms in the Mendip / Somerset area at £38 rather than £48 a month.
- YMCA Brunel Group is an inclusive organisation and the post requires a shared commitment to equality and diversity.
Part time: 19 hours a week
Thursday & Friday 8.30 am to 4.00 pm
Saturday morning from 10 am to 3 pm
Rate of Pay
£10.42 per hour
Please find the job description and personal specifications for this position as follows: Maintenance Assistant Job Description.
YMCA Brunel Group is committed to follow safer recruitment guidelines and all candidates will have to demonstrate full employment history, give 2 good references and be DBS checked. In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.