Accommodation & Support Worker 16+, Yeovil
- Location: Yeovil
- Salary: £12.12ph increasing to £12.97ph in April.
Who we are
YMCA Brunel Group is an independent, locally governed and managed charity operating in Mendip, Bath, Bristol, Wiltshire and South Somerset. We are part of the international YMCA movement. Our mission is to create supportive, inclusive and energising communities, where people can truly belong, contribute and thrive.
Our activities include:
Accommodation for over 700 people every year who are at risk of being homeless, who are on low incomes, experience barriers to work, or young people in need of high levels of support, who have often experienced trauma and difficult times in their lives. We don’t just provide a bed, we support people holistically and continually seek to help our residents gain the training, skills and confidence to lead independent lives.
A Health & Wellbeing centre in Bath, a community facility with a fully kitted out gym, functional fitness areas and extensive class programme.
Two commercial hostels in Bath and Bristol which help us cover our central costs.
Twelve youth clubs for young people aged 10-19, including 4 young carers groups, providing a space where they can have dedicated time to talk to trusted youth workers, access relevant information about issues that concern them, and develop their social networks.
Eight Ofsted registered Nurseries, providing spaces for up to 360 children where they are given opportunities and experiences that will set them up for their educational journeys and prepare them for their lives ahead.
What does the job entail?
- This is a key role within the support team of YMCA Mendip and South Somerset. The post holder will be working to support young people within housing projects and within the community to equip them with the skills to live independently.
- Support will be provided across the area where needed, both accommodation and community-based work, to assist those who are not housed but need comprehensive housing support to identify, secure and set up accommodation to achieve independent living.
- The post holder will be involved in each stage of the young person’s time with YMCA Mendip and South Somerset supporting young people to progress as needed through the housing pathway to improve their quality of life and independence within each of the five outcomes: Being Healthy, staying safe, Enjoying and achieving, Making a positive contribution and Economic well-being.
- The post is also responsible for Housing Management duties to ensure a holistic service for clients including administration, rent collection and rent administration, notification of repairs and maintenance, health and safety tasks and ensuring the environment is welcoming and safe for clients and staff.
What skills will the successful candidate need?
- Ability to be innovative, take initiative, be self-motivated and plan own work load
- Efficient and organised recording and administrative skills.
- To communicate effectively in writing and by telephone
- To work in a stressful, sometimes hostile environment; to be assertive and use conflict creatively
- To work as part of a team, to supervise others, be open, honest, able accept and to give positive criticism
- Ability to listen
- Actively enable and empower young people in all the work that is undertaken
- Understanding of and commitment to equal opportunities
- To work in a non-judgemental way
- Knowledge of appropriate support agencies and networks for young people aged 16-25 years
- Ability to share knowledge in one-to-one and group settings both in informal and formal ways
- Excellent IT skills, with working knowledge of Microsoft software and Outlook.
- Have a full UK driving License and access to their own vehicle
What we offer
YMCA Brunel Group is an inclusive organisation and the post requires a shared commitment to equality and diversity.
- Enhanced sick pay allowances and paid compassionate and emergency dependent leave.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 20% discount off the cost of childcare at our childcare settings
- Staff get a fully inclusive membership of our health & wellbeing centre in Bath for the heavily discounted price of £15/month
- Access to online gym classes for free
- Staff events and a staff intranet where stories, news and updates are shared across the department.
- A corporate discount for our staff at Fusion Lifestyle who have gyms in the Mendip / Somerset area at £38 rather than £48 a month.
- YMCA Brunel Group is an inclusive organisation and the post requires a shared commitment to equality and diversity.
37.5hrs per week including weekends, evenings and bank holidays.
Rate of Pay:
£12.12ph increasing to £12.97ph in April.
Closing date: 16th Feb 24
Interview date: 20th-29th Feb 24
This role is subject to clear enhanced DBS including child barring section.
Please find the job description and personal specifications for this position as follows: Accommodation and Support Worker Job Description.
YMCA Brunel Group is committed to follow safer recruitment guidelines and all candidates will have to demonstrate full employment history, give 2 good references and be DBS checked. In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.