Night Accommodation & Support Worker 16+, Yeovil
- Location: Yeovil
- Salary: £31,117pa
Who we are
YMCA Brunel Group is an independent, locally governed and managed charity operating in Mendip, Bath, Bristol, Wiltshire and South Somerset. We are part of the international YMCA movement. Our mission is to create supportive, inclusive and energising communities, where people can truly belong, contribute and thrive.
Our activities include:
Accommodation for over 700 people every year who are at risk of being homeless, who are on low incomes, experience barriers to work, or young people in need of high levels of support, who have often experienced trauma and difficult times in their lives. We don’t just provide a bed, we support people holistically and continually seek to help our residents gain the training, skills and confidence to lead independent lives.
A Health & Wellbeing centre in Bath, a community facility with a fully kitted out gym, functional fitness areas and extensive class programme.
Two commercial hostels in Bath and Bristol which help us cover our central costs.
Twelve youth clubs for young people aged 10-19, including 4 young carers groups, providing a space where they can have dedicated time to talk to trusted youth workers, access relevant information about issues that concern them, and develop their social networks.
Eight Ofsted registered Nurseries, providing spaces for up to 360 children where they are given opportunities and experiences that will set them up for their educational journeys and prepare them for their lives ahead.
What does the job entail?
This is a key role within the support team of our client. The post holder will be working night shifts with some weekend and bank holiday cover where required.
You will be supporting young people outside of main working hours within housing projects and within the community across the area where needed.
The post holder will be flexible and have experience in working with young people between the ages of 16 to 25 with complex needs in support of our client’s 5 outcomes:
- Being Healthy,
- Staying safe,
- Enjoying and achieving,
- Making a positive Contribution,
- Economic well-being.
The post is also responsible for Housing Management duties to ensure a holistic service for clients including administration, notification of repairs and maintenance, health and safety tasks and general support, ensuring the environment is welcoming and safe for clients and staff.
What skills will the successful candidate need?
- To work as part of a team to provide a safe and homely environment for young people in the evenings and at night.
- To arrange appropriate positive activities that help build relationships and positively engage residents such as cooking, board games, film nights, quizzes etc.
- To deliver targeted support (not care) as directed by the Team Leader, for example support completing a section of MOMO (tenancy accreditation programme).
- To work in a trauma-informed way and provide timely and appropriate interventions and signposting to best meet the needs of young people.
- To ensure young people are fully aware of and comply with the conditions of their placement e.g. licence agreement and house rules.
- To promote and develop meaningful user engagement within YMCA Brunel and externally as appropriate.
- To understand and implement YMCA Brunel’s policies and procedures, including Safeguarding, to maximise young people’s safety and minimise harm.
- To maintain accurate records in a timely manner including handovers, case notes, incident reports and safeguarding reports.
- To actively and practically ensure young people’s living environments are appropriate, well maintained and maintenance of properties is reported and carried out to an agreed standard and timescale.
- To comply with Health & Safety requirements and to undertake health & safety checks as required.
- To ensure confidentiality of clients’ information is maintained and that it is kept securely whether electronic or paper records. The information must be accurate, factual and up to date within organisational requirements.
- To use IT systems including Outlook, Microsoft Office, Inform and Salto and to support other sites with Salto queries.
- To undertake hours as part of a rota system including evenings, waking nights, weekends and bank holidays and provide cover across YMCA Brunel Group to ensure the effective delivery of services to young people when required and as directed by the Accommodation & Support Manager.
- To promote, maintain positive links and work effectively with other members of the YMCA Brunel Group staff team and external partners.
- To complete the staff induction programme and relevant mandatory training specified within agreed timescales and proactively contribute to team meetings/events with groups of colleagues, young people and partner agency staff and contribute to service development.
- To complete supervisions/annual appraisals with relevant manager through Teams if not possible to be carried out in person.
- To support the organisation to meet its agreed aims, objectives, outcomes, financial and performance targets as specified in its business plan and contacts.
- To undertake as requested any other appropriate duties, as may be required from time to time.
- To ensure confidentiality of clients’ information is maintained and that it is kept securely whether electronic or paper records. The information must be accurate, factual and up to date within organisational requirement.
- Have a full UK driving License and access to their own vehicle
What we offer
YMCA Brunel Group is an inclusive organisation and the post requires a shared commitment to equality and diversity.
- Enhanced sick pay allowances and paid compassionate and emergency dependent leave.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 20% discount off the cost of childcare at our childcare settings
- Staff get a fully inclusive membership of our health & wellbeing centre in Bath for the heavily discounted price of £15/month
- Access to online gym classes for free
- Staff events and a staff intranet where stories, news and updates are shared across the department.
- A corporate discount for our staff at Fusion Lifestyle who have gyms in the Mendip / Somerset area at £38 rather than £48 a month.
- YMCA Brunel Group is an inclusive organisation and the post requires a shared commitment to equality and diversity.
34hrs per week with optional overtime
Rate of Pay:
Closing date: 16th Feb 24
Interview date: 20th-29th Feb 24
This role is subject to clear enhanced DBS including child barring section.
Please find the job description and personal specifications for this position as follows: Night Accommodation and Support Worker Job Description.
YMCA Brunel Group is committed to follow safer recruitment guidelines and all candidates will have to demonstrate full employment history, give 2 good references and be DBS checked. In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.